We have several competitions which adults and children can get involved in. For any amateur bakers and craft makers, these competitions are the perfect way to show off your skills. The competitions will be held and judged at the Sherburn Methodist Church prior to the festival – however, the display of winners and entries will be available throughout the weekend.
You can bring your entries into the Methodist church on Wednesday 23rd or Thursday 24th of August. Judging will take place on Friday and awards will be given out that evening. The entries will then be left during the bank holiday weekend for visitors to the festival to see.
The different competition categories and entry forms are available below which include the rules and prize information. Please ensure you bring your competition entry form in with your entry – and that it is fully filled in.
An amateur Arts and Craft competition that is open to individual members of the general public who are not engaged in a professional capacity as an artist, crafter or photographer. The competition will consist of a number of classes/categories, with prizes being awarded to those judged to have come first, second or third in each of the categories.
Entries will be available for public viewing at the Methodist Church, Low Street, Sherburn in Elmet, LS25 6FE over the bank holiday period.
Saturday 26th August 10:00 – 17:00
Sunday 27th August 13:00 – 17:00
Monday 28th August 10:00 – 16:00
There will be a separate set of classes/categories for children and young adults. The entry fees and prizes for the children’s competitions will differ from the adult competitions. There will be an additional prize for the entry judged to be the “best” in show. All prizes will be in the form of Love-2- Shop vouchers kindly donated by British Gypsum. Love 2 Shop vouchers are accepted in over 20,000 locations in the UK.
Please ensure you read the Terms and Conditions of entry before entering.
(1 – 3) See page
Programme Competition (open aged) Prize £50
4. Odd one out
Best Fair Photograph Competition (open aged) Prize £50
In conjunction with Sherburn Camera Club
5. Best photograph of the 2017 Sherburn Craft and Food Fair.
(Result to be announced September 2017)
Craft Competitions (Entry fee £2.00 per item)
The Overall “best in show” craft item
6. Winner to receive an additional £50 worth of vouchers
Art (any subject) (Prizes: 1st £50, 2nd £30, 3rd £15)
7. Pencil, pen and ink, line and wash pastel
8. Water colour painting
9. Oil/acrylic painting
10. Picture using any other medium
Handicrafts (Prizes: 1st £50, 2nd £30, 3rd £15)
11. Soft furnishing, including Cushion, Bunting, Throws etc. Sewn, knitted or crocheted.
12. Any fancy article made from felt
13. A cross stitch or Embroidery stitched picture (framed)
14. A piece of handmade jewellery
15. Any fancy article or garment hand knitted or crochet work
16. Best soft toy, sewn, knitted or crocheted
17. Patchwork article
18. Sewn Garment for Child or Adult.
19. 2 Birthday cards one suitable for Male one for Female
20. Something new from something Old. (Picture of article before alteration required).
21. Item made from Wood.
Photography (Prizes: 1st £50, 2nd £30, 3rd £15)
22. Nature – animals, birds, insects, flora and fauna
23. Landscapes, seascapes, cityscapes, nightscapes, buildings and person-made articles
24. People, portraits, individuals, groups, action, sport
Children’s Classes (Entry fee £1 per item)
Reception Infants and under (Prizes: 1st £20, 2nd £15, 3rd £10)
Year 1 & 2 Infants (Prizes: 1st £20, 2nd £15, 3rd £10)
Year 3 & 4 Juniors (Prizes: 1st £20, 2nd £15, 3rd £10)
Year 5 & 6 Juniors (Prizes: 1st £20, 2nd £15, 3rd £10)
12 – 15-year-olds (inclusive) (Prizes: 1st £20, 2nd £15, 3rd £10)
Garden flower arrangement in a novelty container (Prizes: 1st £20, 2nd £15, 3rd £10)
for those aged 16 and under (Prizes: 1st £20, 2nd £15, 3rd £10)
All entries to be made on A4 blank or faintly lined paper (portrait or landscape). Any illustrations/decorations should not overlap or detract from the handwriting.
The judges are looking for good handwriting, not calligraphy or especially fancy styles e.g. with distorted forms or lots of curls on letters etc.
Year 1 & 2 Infants
(using pen or pencil)
I Miss My Sister (by Kevin Nesbitt)
I miss my sister all the time.
For her it’s not the same.
She never misses me at all.
She has a better aim.
Year 3 & 4 Juniors
(using pen or pencil)
The Lion (by Spike Milligan)
If you’re attacked by a lion
Find fresh underpants to try on,
Lay on the ground quite still,
Pretend you are very ill.
Keep like that day after day,
Perhaps the lion will go away.
Year 5 & 6 Juniors
(using pen only)
The Bus (by Robert Pottle)
Sixty kids and one adult,
you gotta love those odds.
The perfect place for pulling pranks
and throwing paper wads.
Hank is standing on his head,
Billy’s playing ball,
Peter wet his pants again,
Tasha pushes Paul.
Steven steals. Kevin cries,
Millicent is missing.
Katie punched her cousin Keith,
Ben and Jen are kissing.
Me, I’m taking lots of notes
on public transportation.
I think the bus provides me with
the finest education.
Conditions of entry are as follows:
1. Entries will not be accepted from professional artists, crafters or photographers.
2. All competition entries must have been made, produced, or created by the person submitting the entry i.e. it must be their own work, and must have been completed in the previous 12 months.
3. The organisers reserve the right to exclude any item that is considered inappropriate or to breach any of the entry conditions.
4. Participants are allowed to enter a maximum of three items in any one category. There is no restriction on the number of categories that each person may enter.
5. No submitted item can be entered into more than one category and must fit the general description for that category.
6. All entries must be delivered to the Methodist Church, Low Street, Sherburn in Elmet, LS25 6FE on Wednesday 23rd or Thursday 24th August between 1600 and 1900. Late entries will not be accepted.
7. Entries will only be accepted if accompanied by a completed entry form and the payment of the appropriate entry fees.
8. Artwork must not exceed 61 x 76cm (24” x 30”) including any frame and must be strung for hanging
9. Photographs: prints must not exceed 21 x 30 cm (8”x 12”, A4 size) and (with the exception of the children’s selfies) must be mounted and strung for hanging.
10. Each entry must bear a label that includes the entrants name, contact details (telephone number, email or address), class/category number. Items submitted in the Children & Young Persons categories must also show their age (age on the 26th August 2017). The entrant’s details MUST NOT be visible on the front of the item. The organisers will identify each item and category with a sticker or label that will be attached to the front of the item.
11. Entries will be judged, winners announced and prizes presented at 1900 Friday 25th August in the Methodist Church. There will also be an opportunity to preview entries.
12. All prizes will be in the form of “Love to Shop” vouchers, kindly donated by British Gypsum.
13. The judges’ decisions will be final.
14. All entries to the competition must be made available for viewing, at the Methodist Church, by the public over the Bank holiday. Viewing hours are 1000 and 1700 Saturday, 1300 – 1700 Sunday and 1000 – 1600 Monday). Those wishing to view must be in possession of a current Sherburn Craft and Food Fair entry wrist band.
15. Entrants are recommended to arrange their own insurance cover for their entries, the Sherburn Craft and Food Fair and the Methodist Church will not be financially liable for the loss or damage to any item however caused.
16. All entries MUST be collected, between 1600 and 1800 on Monday 28th August 2017 from the Methodist Church. Any items not collected during that time will be disposed of at the organizer’s discretion. No compensation will be paid.
Prizes have been kindly sponsored by British Gypsum.